Summer is around the corner and we are all looking forward to a few bright, sunny days! But spring isn’t over yet, and there’s still time to do some spring cleaning and review your estate plan. Here’s a quick check list for the next rainy spring day:
- Review, change, or add beneficiary designations to accounts, insurances, deeds, and titles.
- Pre-pay and pre-plan your funeral. Designate a decision maker if you aren’t sure what you want.
- Think your loved ones will fight over stuff? Start making gifts now.
- Review your estate plan: Do your documents state your current wishes? Are your named agents still the most appropriate people to act on your behalf?
- Talk to your doctors about a Do Not Resuscitate Order and other final wishes.
- Review your insurance policies (life, accidental death, long-term care, health insurance) to make sure they still fit with your life goals.
- Meet with your professional advisers to review your goals with your spouse or a trusted loved one: insurance agents, financial advisers, lawyers, CPAs, etc.
- Keep your original estate plan documents, pre-planning documents, insurance policies, and a list of assets in a safe place.
Remember, if you need assistance with wills, trusts, and estate planning, make sure to contact the experts at McDermottWard – 757-755-7498.